We like hard choices. It means that’s there’s something actually happening, something out of the ordinary at least.Â Well, y’all got some hard choices this weekend.Â Lotsa rock’n'roll firepower in town, lotsa hot platters being laid down at cool dance parties, lotsa shady ladies and drunk dudes to be had… yes the ides of Fall are upon us: dig in before the Winter doldrums set in!
Hard to know where to start, but let’s pick Manhattan.Â New York Rockabilly legend Robert Gordon returns to the stage at Bowery Electric tonight.Â Robert Gordon WAS the rockabilly scene back in the late 70′s and early 80′s here (apart from some guy named Brian Setzer that is).Â Contrary to Setzer whose goal always seemed to get as poppy and mainstream as possible (remember the Christmas clothing commercials on TV in the 90′s?!), Gordon was truly a rock’n'roll animal, even daring to ask god of gods Link Wray to make some albums, which he actually agreed to! He’s supported by none other than New York’s finest party band, the Othermen.Â Make sure to say you’re there for the Othermen since it will be only $10 instead of the premium Robert price of $20.
Way over in Bushwick, there’s a rare treat of another sort as Montreal super group Red Mass play Party Xpo, the no-alcohol venue on Broadway near Beauty Bar.Â They’re joined by friends Xray Eyeballs and will apparently attempt a joint set.Â From the picture above, you’d expect a choir (or underwear salesmen) but think more modern garage rock (emphasis on the rock)… lead by Roy/Choyce (ex-CPC Gangbangs). They’ll be supported by rising punkers the Caterpillers.Â We’re guessing it’s Flask City over there but if not jump over to Beauty Bar for a nip in between bands.
And that’s not all the live action– the Mess Around return to favorite haunt Trash Bar along with Cudzoo and the Faggettes (kudos on the name at least fellas) and the Challenged. $?
But wait– there’s more.Â Kid Congo & the Pink Monkey Birds find another peanut at Brooklyn Bowl in Williamsburg and are supported by the K-Holes. $5
On the DJ front, it’s a battle of the regularly scheduled nights:
- Subway Soul Club returns to the Loft above Public Assembly on n 6th St in Williamsburg with guest DJs Ol’ Stark and Rich Sibello. $6 to keep out the trenchcoat mafia.
- Rebel Night returns to Otto’s, its only home now that they’ve abandoned Greenpoint’s Warsaw. It’s the original, and some say the best, Japanese DJ-fronted rockabilly dance party in New York. FREE
- If you’re in an uptown state of mind, don’t forget to drop in on Groovy DJ Linda Rizzo at the Ding of the Dong, Ding Dong Lounge up in there on the west side. She’ll be blasting good punk, funk, garage and more all night and it’s free!
- And, over at Home Sweet Home, Sr. Toubin rolls on with another edition of Shakin’ All Over Sideways Down. Guest DJ Mr Fine Wine of WFMU will spice it up! $3 to keep out the bedazzled-blackberry-mob.
Yet another night of choices to make but at least they’re good ones!Â Before you get to the evening action, make sure to stop by the Charleston. Yes, the Charleston! Why? Because Gerrard of 45 Adapters will be spinning Reggae & Soul for Honeychiles’ spicy brunch from noon to 5. It’s free and good for body and mind.
Hullabaloo! returns to one of our favorite venues, Union Pool with a stellar bill featuring the recently reconfigured Heavy Hands with new drummer Jungle Jim (of Twin Guns).Â They’re supported by Madam Robot & the Lust Brigade and a new two-man combo called Kick’n'Oweinama featuring everyone’s favorite scene characters in ‘devil blues’ mode.Â DJing tonight will be Charles Gaskins and Captain Heartlock as I myself will be out of town missing the whole she-bang!Â Did I mention that it’s Hula Hoop Harlot Melissa-Anne’s birthday? Wish her the best as she does a quick performance around 11PM. $7 and dance party to follow ALL NIGHT LONG!
Over at the Knitting Factory, it’s a battle of the girl groups with the Dum Dum Girls headlining and the Girls at Dawn supporting. $10/$12
And at the Acheron, a venue relatively new to us on Waterbury St not too far from the Montrose L stop, another Montreal great, Skip Jensen will be playing a bill also featuring the Estrogen Highs. $?
And yes, there’s still more! The Strange Boys and Gentlemen Jesse & His Men are at Brooklyn Bowl. Another $5 show!
On the DJing front:
- Soul Clap!, the dance party and contest lead by Jonathan Toubin, goes on at Glasslands with special guest judges and two prizes this time. $5 and starts at the stroke of midnight
- Over at Beauty Bar Brooklyn it’s another edition of Mods Love Rockers, Pixie 007′s hosted dance party featuring regular DJ Mike Mortician and guest this month June of ABC Rebel Night. FREE
- We also believe the Knights of the Round Tables, the soul night featuring Mr Fine Wine among others, continues this eve at the Commodore, but no confirmation on that one. (FREE)
And, in case you don’t want Saturday to end (who does?), join Mr Toubin as he scoots across town to The Shank, hosted by Louie G at its once-and-now-again home on Bayard St.Â It runs from 3am to 8am. Dance ’til you’re bloody!
Welp, enjoy the weekend NYC– I certainly will, if from a distance.
SHIMMYTags: acheron, estrogen highs, heavy hands, party xpo, red mass, robert gordon, skip jensen, xray eyeballs